Monday, July 28, 2008

Deep Thought Monday

I'm taking a hiatus from Menu Plan Monday this week to share something I came across. It's not really all that revolutionary, but it was a good reminder to me of a truth I sometimes forget. (If you had your heart set on a menu plan, head on over to Org Junkie...there are plenty to choose from!)

From time to time I've been known to react from emotion rather than logic, rationale, or even what I know to be true. You could say I've let my emotions get the best of me on occasion. (You can stop laughing and nodding your head now, Hubby.) That's something I've been working on lately...Choosing to be the best person I can be, no matter how tired I am, how discouraged I feel, or how much I just want to crawl in a hole and cry (or sleep!). I've discovered (yet again) that the strength I need to handle (i.e., control) my emotions doesn't come from within me...that was the mistake I had been making for so long. The strength to handle my emotions, my choices, my circumstances, my life comes from the One who created me, designed my emotions, gave me the freedom to make my own choices, controls my circumstances, and orders the steps of my life. That's why these passages I came across this week meant so much to me:

"'As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.' (Proverbs 23:7).
This meant that
circumstances did not cause my emotions,
but my thoughts about my circumstances did."
--Erik Johnson in an article "Driving Yourself Crazy,"
from Focus On the Family (April 2008)
“We become what we think about all day long.”

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and
every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in
plenty or in want. I can do
everything through
him who gives me strength."

--The Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:12,13

Do you have a favorite passage, verse, motto, or exercise you use to manage your emotions?

4 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Last summer Vince did a sermon (I think it may have even been a series) on being emotionally hi-jacked and, boy, did that ever hit home with me! So many times, life happens and things come that you weren't expecting and you can essentially become hi-jacked by your emotional response to those circumstances. Just being aware of that really helps me remember to just give it to the Lord and let Him work it out. I know all too well how my own stewing about stuff, and getting angry about something/someone or even just plain old worrying doesn't help ANYthing. Thanks for your thoughts and the awesome verses and quotes!!

Heather and Reese said...

There are certain things in life that we need not pray about— moods, for instance. We will never get rid of moodiness by praying, but we will by kicking it out of our lives. Moods nearly always are rooted in some physical circumstance, not in our true inner self. It is a continual struggle not to listen to the moods which arise as a result of our physical condition, but we must never submit to them for a second. We have to pick ourselves up by the back of the neck and shake ourselves; then we will find that we can do what we believed we were unable to do. The problem that most of us are cursed with is simply that we won’t.

~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest


This one helped me tonight at dinner. It was HOT and muggy and The Boys were whiny, Tim was complaining about a mild allergic reaction he was having and I glanced over at the pile of dishes waiting for me. I found myself getting snippy and bummed, then this quote came to my mind. Instantly, I made myself sit up straight and decide not to be like that. No kidding... that was it: my entire mood changed because I made it. I ended up laughing and having a great time with my family. And now I'm going to do the dishes!

Great post! Bless you.

~Reese

Nancy said...

Great quote...thanks Reese!

Angela said...

Umm, exactly what God has been teaching me lately. I read a book with a very similar statement...that my thoughts determine my feelings, so to change my feelings (over which I thought I had no control), I must change my thoughts. Sounds so simple, right? ;-) Thanks again for the reminder that this is exactly what God wants to keep driving home in my heart.