Monday, July 14, 2008

Mondays in the Blogosphere

I've discovered there's a lot going on in the blogosphere on Mondays. While I'm doing well to get my brood up, dressed, and fed, some of my fellow bloggers are already getting a jump on things. In case you're new to the world of blogging (I still am), I thought I'd point you toward some bloggers who are "up and rarin' to go on this Monday morning":

Two of my favorite bloggers over at Kickin' It In Crazyville have started a new Friendship Hall of Fame every Monday. Each week they honor a friend of the many nominated by bloggers everywhere. So, if you have a special friend you'd like to nominate, head on over and submit his/her name. I'm sure your friend will greatly appreciate it!

Also, Org Junkie has Menu Plan Monday every week where you'll find lots (and I do mean LOTS) of great menu plans and recipes (my favorite part!). So, if you're menu-planning-challenged (as I am), head on over and glean from the creativity of others! And, if you're interested, here's my Menu Plan Monday:


Monday: Homemade pizzas (with my favorite pizza crust recipe listed below) and salad

Tuesday: Pork roast (in the slow cooker) with seasoned rice and steamed veggies

Wednesday: BBQ Pork sandwiches (made from the leftover pork roast), french fries, fresh corn on the cob

Thursday: Leftover night (any combination of leftovers from the fridge)

Friday: Family Night Out

Saturday: Breakfast for dinner (bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits, and fruit

Amish Pizza Crust
(My mom made this all the time when we were growing up...
she got the recipe from an old amish cookbook years ago).

Combine:

1 cup warm water

1 pkg yeast

When dissolved add:

1 large tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 1/4 cup flour

Beat until smooth and add:

2 cups flour, or enough to make stiff (I substitute up to have with whole wheat flour)

Knead until elastic (about 5 min). Place in greased bowl and let rise until it doubles in size (about 45 min). Form 2 balls, pat and stretch to fill 2 greased pizza pans. Let rise another 10 min. Add pizza sauce and your favorite toppings. Bake @ 450 degrees for 20-25 min until crust is golden.


If you do not need to make 2 pizzas, you can freeze one crust. After I spread it on the pizza pan and let it rise again. I move it to a sheet of cling wrap, place another on top, then roll the crust and place it in the freezer. Let thaw completely, then add toppings and bake.

Do you know any other secrets to freezing pizza dough (or any other kind of dough, for that matter)?

3 comments:

Just His Best said...

Thank you, thank you. I just found your blog through I Take Joy and was just thinking today I wanted to find a good pizza crust recipe since I've now deemed Fridays - Pizza Night- and want to do them from scratch. :)

Kelli
www.justhisbest.com

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm....the name of your blog stole my attention!
Your menu looks delish. I love my crockpot too, and it makes dinner so easy (and the kitchen less hot!). We do breakfast for dinner about once a week as well. It's easy for Mom, quick to prepare, and everyone likes it.
Have a wonderful week!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Sounds like a yummy week, Nanc! I LOVE homemade pizza!