Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Taking Joy in the Little Things

A few weeks ago, I posted a review of Sally Clarkson's book, The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity. As I was reading Sally's blog (I Take Joy), I came across Ms. Clarkson's e-mail address. On a whim, sent her an e-mail explaining how much her book meant to me, the impact it had on me and my parenting, and thanking her for her ministry. I know someone of her position (author, speaker, blogger, mother of 4, etc.) has at least a million pressing things to do at any given moment. I hoped that my e-mail might actually get read, but I definitely didn't expect a reply. Imagine my surprise when I opened my inbox the other day to find an e-mail from Sally Clarkson herself!


The fact that Ms. Clarkson took the time to e-mail me was a huge encouragement in herself, but what she said to me was even more encouraging. Her words of affirmation and support for my decision to stay home with my children, and her recognition of the fact that that isn't always an easy role were so soothing to my soul. I'd like to share just one line from her e-mail that I found so encouraging:

"I have not always found my choices easy, but I see the results in the great souls of my children."


As a mother on "this side" of parenting (just starting out), it was so encouraging to me to hear that from a mother on the "other side" (whose children are all grown). To know that it was also difficult for her, but that the tough choices paid off is in itself a huge encouragement to me. I'm sure I will revisit those words in the days and months to come. Thank you again, Sally.


On another note, we took advantage of the beautiful weather today to go on a little scavenger hunt. It was so much fun to watch my Little Miss diligently searching for a rock or flower to put in her makeshift "bag." It was such a simple outing, but it meant so much to her. It was the first thing she told Daddy about when he got home, and continued reliving it through dinner.


While on our hunt, Little Miss was taken with this tiny angel statue on our route. She stopped abruptly, stroked it's little head, and said, "Aww...look Mommy!" I was so taken with her sweetness, I could hardly notice the statue. Fortunately, I had my camera on hand to capture the moment of my angel with her angel.


It was a good day.

3 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

What an awesome day you had with your Little Miss! She's so sweet. The scavenger hunt sounds like fun, we should try that.
Those were also very encouraging words from Sally Clarkson--thank you for sharing them!

Heather and Reese said...

Oh, what a sweetie! I love that age!

I haven't read Ms. Clarkson's book, but I find it encouraging today that other mom's admit that staying home with their children isn't always easy. You hear a lot how it isn't easy financially, but that it's hard in other ways isn't always talked about. When I feel frustrated for being at home the guilt generally follows soon after as I realize that so many other mom's would love to be home but can't. I am blessed to be able to be with my kids and to give to them what only a mom can, but it really is hard at times. I'm finding it most frustrating right now, after putting in the better part of 14 years at home, with my plans on the back burner, the stir-craziness is setting in. 14 years down, and with Ian only 3.... AHHH!!!! So many to go! LOL!

With Ian starting preschool in the fall, I've decided to take a few classes on base. I think that will help me to feel more like a human again!

Thanks for the encouraging post.

Bless you.

~Reese

Four Flights said...

Nancy, I never thought I would be so uplifted stopping by your blog. I had never heard of Ms. Clarkson and just got done reaing a bit of her blog. I think I will read that book because I have been filling lately that what is missing for me is a deeper spiritual connectioon with the Lord, my kids and my husband. I am actually tearing up right now. I can't explain it, but reading your blog and coming across Sally Clarkson is almost like a sign from above. Don't mean to sound sappy, but as a sister in the Lord hopefully you understand what I mean.

XOXO your BW pal Andrea