It's Fall....yea!!!! My favorite time of year. Even though it's currently 75 degrees here, I'm looking forward to the crisp, cool weather and curling up with a cup of hot apple cider, warm pumpkin bread, and a good book. That's why I'm looking forward to participating in the Fall Into Reading 2008 challenge hosted by Katrina at Callipider Days.Since this is my first time participating in the reading challenge, my list is a bit sparse. With two small children and a hectic fall ahead of us, I'm trying to "ease" into this whole reading-challenge thing. I suppose I can always add to the list if, for some reason, I fly through the titles more quickly than expected.
I am also using this as an excuse to bring more variety to my reading repertoire. I tend to gravitate toward one type of book, so I'm trying to shake things up a bit and branch out by reading things I might not typically take the time to pick up. So, without further ado, here's my much-anticipated list:
The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (currently reading)
The Shack by William Young
Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
10 comments:
Bringing Up Boys is an INCREDIBLE book!! So eye-opening for me. I've always thought Memoirs of a Geisha looked interesting--I'll look forward to your review on that one.
Memoirs of a Geisha is GREAT! So descriptive. But I had the hardest time getting through Wicked. Hope you enjoy though.
I read The Shack in the last month or so and it's definitely worth reading. Bringing Up Boys is absolutely awesome. I facilitated the accompanying DVD study at my church in Illinois a few years ago. I almost bought Wicked at Sam's Club tonight but passed; now I'm wondering if I should have gotten it because it was so cheap. I'm really looking forward to your review on it.
Great list! I tried going out of my box a little bit too, because I tend to go for one type of book too.
~ Kayren
I loved Memoirs of a Geisha! Wonderful book!
I'm also reading Wicked for the challenge. :)
Happy reading!
Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my all time favorite books. It is one I will read again and recommend often.
EXCELLENT list. I've seen Bringing Up Boys on a few lists and have added it to my unofficial. I LOVED The Shack (it came at a time in my life where I needed it, and it was hubby who picked it out). Happy reading.
Fantastic Book List! There are some great books that you have listed. My husband really like Blue Like Jazz...that is on my list of reads...but not this current list.
Enjoy
Blessings,
Bella
I've read Bringing Up Boys (years ago when I only had one! I think I need to read it again) and Memoirs of a Geisha. If you end up liking Memoirs, you may like Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I actually liked that one better.
I hope to read The Shack and The Case For Christ soon.
Did you hear Lee Strobel on Focus on the Family recently? If you want to hear him, you can find it in their recent podcasts. He's excellent and he really challenged me. His talk was about "What If Jesus Lived in My House?" and how Jesus would reach out to his neighbors. I haven't even listened to the second podcast yet and a friend and I are acting on what he said by hosting weekly breakfasts for women that God puts on our hearts. It's amazing what simply living out God's love can accomplish. We had originally started weekly evening get-togethers with a new Christian mom from our church and the time and effort has already paid off with her. God has allowed us to be there for her in the midst of recent trying times. The bottom line is that we tend to make witnessing and mentoring far more complicated that it really is. All God expects us to be is who he made us. He does the rest.
Maybe I'll write a book about that!!! LOL!
Great list!
(Oh yeah, so happy to hear you're a HCJ fan! I LOVE him. I have 16 of his albums on my iPod! I've never seen him in concert but desperately want to.)
~Reese
Great list, Nancy! I think easing in is a good idea, but you've still got a decent number of books to read this fall! I really liked Bringing up Boys and also felt The Ministry of Motherhood had lots of good stuff in it. Thanks for joining the challenge!
I have read Bringing Up Boys and even though I am a Mommy to a Daughter, I found it a fantastic read. I can't wait for Bringing Up Girls!
I too have read Memoirs of a Geisha and loved the descriptions of the kimonos. I found I could picture them so vividly.
Happy Reading!
Post a Comment