Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fall Family Fun

We're still waiting on the weather to reflect it, but the calendar shows that Fall is officially here. So our family kicked our fall festivities off in full swing this weekend. We started Saturday morning with a childhood favorite of Hubby's (made by his grandmother, then mother). I heard much about these Apple Fritters long before I ever tasted them....and let's just say I was NOT disappointed. This is only the second time I've attempted to make them since we've been married (actually it becomes a team effort with the peeling, coring, slicing, battering, frying, etc.). I think it might have to become a first-weekend-of-fall tradition around here! Here are some pics, and the simple and delicious recipe...

Hubby taking his turn at the stove...

And the delicious finished product...YUM!

After breakfast, we headed out to a Fall Festival at a local farm park that recently opened. It's the first time we had been there, and we all had a great time!


The kiddos LOVED the animals.



And we even got to "milk" a fake cow! (After my comment on last Know & Tell Friday!)

Hubby and the kids "driving" a tractor.

They even had a pumpkin patch, and Little Miss and I got some pumpkins to bring home!

It was a great weekend to kickoff this Fall season, but I'm ready for some cooler weather, and I have the sunburn to prove it!

And as promised the Apple Fritter recipe...

Grandma's Apple Fritters

3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced

1 cup flour

1 egg

milk--enough to make batter the right consistency

1-2 Tbls vegetable or canola oil

1 cup of sugar and cinnamon mixture

Batter: Combine flour and egg. Add enough milk to make batter
the consistency of a thick liquid (make sure there are no lumps).

Heat oil in a skillet. Dip each apple slice in batter, making
sure it is completely coated, then add to skillet. Cook until
lightly browned, then move it to cinnamon and sugar
mixture until completely coated. Allow to cool.

2 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

What a great day, Nanc!! Fall activities are so much fun, aren't they?! And I'm going to keep this yummy recipe--a friend just gave me a 5 gallon bucket of apples on Saturday! Thanks for sharing!

Kayren said...

Where are those curls, Nancy? And how funny about the cow?!

I left you an award over at my blog, so go by and pick it up.

~ Kayren