Tuesday, June 3, 2008

From the Mouths of Babes

When I began potty training my oldest, almost a year ago, I knew we would have some "embarrassing" public moments. But I never stopped to think it might play out like the following scenario which happened twice...yes, twice...in the last three days:

While in a public place (once a restaurant, once a grocery store), my 3-year-old needed to use the bathroom. As I stooped next to her, helping her steady her small frame on the large seat, she expressed her concern, "Will I fall in?" (She had one such traumatic event a few months ago.) I explained that although her bottom was small and the seat was big, I would hold her and would not let her fall in. That seemed to calm her fears and she was able to finish her business. When it was my turn to use the facilities, my precious daughter asked, "Will you fall in, Mommy?" I simply said, "no" to which she replied (loudly), "'Cause your bottom is BIG!" Of course, the other stalls were also occupied at the time of this sincere proclamation (no such luck as finding an empty public restroom!). I would like to take a moment to thank those ladies for not bursting out in laughter right then and there.

Yes, my daughter has now proudly announcet to the female patronage of our favorite restaurant and grocery store that my hind quarters are "BIG." Maybe it's time to lay off the chocolate...then again, she's only 3. What does she know? ;)

2 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Oh, that is so funny! I've definitely had similar experiences with the Princess and I'm sure I've got a whole lot more to come w/Mr.B!

Angela said...

Oh, my gosh, that's hysterical. I would stay in the stall until everyone else was gone.