Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Designed for Life 2008 Women's Conference


"Life is full of surprises." That sounds so cliche...until you encounter one of those surprises.

Last week I attended our church's annual women's conference. (Thus the reason for my absence here.) Now, I'm not typically one for church women's gatherings. As a not-so-frilly-girl, I've come away from more than my share of women's gatherings feeling like it just "wasn't for me." But for some reason, I felt like I needed to go this year...and surprise! I'm really glad I did.

The speakers were phenominal. Vera Kasevich of Hillsong Church in Kiev, Ukrane, has an amazing testimony and passion for empowering women. She and her husband pastor in Kiev as well as in Moscow, Russia. We also heard from my friend Casey Gibbons, the wife of our youth pastor, Scotty Gibbons. Casey also has a tremendous story of God's faithfulness in her life and an amazing heart for girls and children.


For me, the highlight of the conference was being challenged (and I do not use that word lightly) by Christine Caine of Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia. Put simply, Christine is a combination of passion, humor, and the power of the Word of God all rolled into a small Greek-Australian woman. She is an tremendous speaker and an amazing woman.


In addition to the powerful speakers, the conference held The World's Largest Baby Shower where nine new and expectant mothers from the local pregnancy care center were showered with gifts of strollers, rocking chairs, bedding and nursery decor, baby clothes, and baby supplies.

Two women were honored through the "Be a Gift" Foundation for their faith and courage in the midst of adversity. They were given makeovers and a shopping spree. One family was given a kitchen makeover (complete with new dishes and a fully-stocked pantry), while the other family received a 5-day getaway and a check to cover expenses for their son's medical treatments.


The conference participants also agreed to sponsor 500 Haitian children through Mission of Mercy to launch their ministry in the country of Haiti!


This was not your mother's women's conference! Gone are the days of blue-haired ladies sitting around knitting and sipping tea. Apparently, the new face of women's ministry is all about empowering women to live up to who God has created us to be. Now that I can get into! (The chocolates and chair massages are nice, too!)

I am definitely looking forward to next year's conference. If you're looking for a reason to visit the Ozarks next fall, this is a great reason to come. I can give you great tips on things to do in the area!
What's been your biggest surprise in recent days?

1 comment:

Heather and Reese said...

I've always felt the same way about women's conferences and have also been pleasantly surprised in recent years. I think you're right, there is a new generation rising up to lead and encourage today's woman where she's at- and that's the not the same place our mothers were 20 years ago. Praise God!

I'm glad you had a good time and were blessed.

I've always wanted to visit the Ozarks, since I read a Trixie Belden book set there when I was a kid. Not sure I'll make the conference, but at least now I have a reason to go there, right?! We'll see. :)

Cheers!

~Reese