Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Been a Long Week

In the midst of praying for, worrying about, and keeping updated on Zoe's condition, we've had our own bouts of sickness here. Little Man ended up with a double ear infection, and I picked up some sort of sinus-infection-thingie along the way. Throw in a stressful week at work for Hubby and you've got the makings of one stressed-out family.

I'm ashamed to say we didn't necessarily handle it the best way, and I really have no one to blame but myself. Touting my sickness and mental and emotional exhaustion as an excuse, I once again lost the battle with my emotions. (See "Deep Thought Monday" for more info on the battle to control my emotional freight train.)

I was deeply convicted yesterday when I realized (yes, again) that my attitude sets the stage for the environment of my family. The old saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" carries more weight than most people realize. At least I never realized how appropriate it was, but I'm starting to.

That's why I was so encouraged once again by Sally Clarkson of I Take Joy. I was a bit behind in reading, so today I read her post from last week, "Fussing, fussing, fussing, and how to tame it!" (how appropriate, huh?). My favorite quote was:

I have been convicted over the years, that the first place of creating a peaceful environment in my home must start with me. I am responsible to God to seek to love and serve others because of His love for me.

Once again, Sally gives me something to think about...and something to strive for.

No comments: