Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Oh Wretched Sleep, Thou Dost Mock Me

I love sleep. I have always loved sleep. It probably runs a close second to chocolate in my "most favorite indulgences" list. However, as a mother of two small children (3 yrs and 7 months), it's not something I see much of these days.

That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the person I become without my precious sleep. My usual patient, kind, loving self morphs into a gripey, frustrated monster of sorts who snaps at her husband and loses patience with her children over the smallest things. I am, of course, instantly regretful, but how I wish I would stop it BEFORE it happens. I seem to have no problem with that when I'm well-rested. Something in my brain is able to throw a switch and say, "Wait....cool it! It's not that big a deal." Actually, the switch doesn't usually have to intervene when I've had sleep. I'm fairly laid back and have a relatively high "deal with it" factor. But when I'm sleep-deprived, it's a WHOLE 'nother story, sister!

Why is that? There are people who can function, and function well, mind you, on 4-5 hrs of sleep a night. I AM NOT one of them! I need a good 7-9 hrs a night! (I don't remember the last time I saw 7 hrs of sleep in one night...let alone 7 CONSECUTIVE hours!) Is it a physical need? Doctors and scientists say that we need 8 hrs of sleep a night. So, if that's the case, why would God create in babies an innate need to be up all hours of the night then be ready to start their day at 5:30 a.m.?! Is it a psychological need? Do I just THINK I need that much sleep? And if so, why does my brain go foggy and my body ache, no matter how much caffeine I consume, when I get little sleep?

These are the questions that plague my sleep-deprived brain these days. Alas, the answers may never be found. Until then, I will continually remind myself of the words God gave the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Weakness...yep, that's me. I'm right there with you, Paul. (Hmmm....do you think Paul had small children?)

3 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Sleep deprivation is nothing short of torture--in fact, I'm pretty sure it IS a form of torture! I must say that it makes me feel better to know that there are other moms out there who AREN'T awake and exercising BEFORE their kiddos get up. My kiddos drag me out of bed-ha! My problem is staying up too late, they get such a headstart on sleep every night!:)

Heather and Reese said...

I remember when my kids were babies and having that constant sleep deprived feeling. It does end. I'm not one of those people that need a lot of sleep, I can function on 6 or 7 hours. I have a bad habit of staying up until around midnight just so I can have some quiet time, and then the alarm goes off at 6:30 and it's hard to wake up.

I'm with you Lora...my kids drag me out of bed too.

I love your blog by the way and especially love the name!

Heather

Nancy said...

Thanks! So good to know I'm not alone, and that it WILL eventually end!