Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Burgers and Fries Remix

I am not an official participant of Org Junkie's Menu Plan Monday (for more info, click here)...not yet at least. (And yes, I know it's already Wednesday). But MPM has inspired me to put forth a more concentrated effort in menu planning. So I dusted off a few of my cook books, and I'm rediscovering some old favorites.

Today was one of the first "warmish" days so far this Spring (if you can call what we've been having "spring"), so I fired up the grill and did a variation on the ol' burger and fries (a healthier variation at that...much to my hubby's chagrin. But he said he liked it.) I thought I'd post a couple of the recipes here in the hopes that you enjoy a good recipe discovery as much as I do.

Southwest Turkey Burgers
2 lb ground turkey
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture 10 minutes, then form into 8 patties. Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the patties on the grill. Cook for 20 minutes, turning once, or until well done. The inside of the burgers will look whitish when cooked through.

Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries
4 sweet potatoes, cut into large fries
1 Tblsp water
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
2 Tblsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cut sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe dish with water. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then drain. Toss with Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread fries in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, or until fries are crispy on the outside.

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Heather and Reese said...

I LOVE sweet potato fries! I have one recipe that says to cook bacon, then toss the sliced/peeled sweet potatoes in the leftover grease. (I can't remember what I was supposed to do with the bacon! LOL!) Anyway, that was my first attempt at making them myself, having enjoyed them every fall at Burgerville in my hometown. Since then, I just toss them with light olive oil and a little salt.

Thanks for the turkey burger recipe. I love Southwest Anything and I should be trying these soon.

Bless you!

Reese

Lora @ my blessed life said...

This menu looks yummy! We are really trying to eat better (I just bought a new WW magazine to peruse this weekend:), so I need to try these soon. Not to mention I'm so ready for grilled food again!