Tuesday, November 4, 2008

You Won't Hear Much from Me about Politics...

However, since the future of our nation lies in the balance today, I figured it is appropriate to share some thoughts. First, let me say I'm not one to jump in to a political discussion or debate. I typically try to avoid them, and if for some reason I can't, I'm usually the first to grow tired of it and leave the conversation.

It's not that I don't think we should be informed or aware. I absolutely believe that as an American and a Christian, it's one's obligation to be informed of the issues and take action in an appropriate manner. But I also grow weary of all the campaign ads, political debate, and speculation and conjecture from the "talking heads." But in this election, both sides seem to agree on one thing--there is so much at stake.

As a Christian, I am saddened, and often annoyed, by the way some "believers" approach political issues and elections. I believe there is NEVER an excuse for a Christian to be defamatory or malicious toward another person, no matter what their beliefs. That's why I was so proud when two friends each posted thoughtful and well-spoken insights on today's campaign. Each demonstrated intelligent arguments presented in a respectful and, I believe, Christlike attitude. You can read them here and here. Thank you Vince and John Jay!

First let me say that I have great respect and admiration for both candidates. I commend Barack Obama for overcoming great obstacles in his life to make a greater life for himself and his family...to essentially realize the American dream. And no one can dispute John McCain's service to his country, both in the military and as a prisoner of war. If, for no other reason, he deserves our utmost appreciation and respect.

As for the VP candidates, my heart goes out to Joe Biden for the personal tragedy he endured early in his career. I cannot imagine losing a spouse, let alone a child at the same time. As for Sarah Palin, I think her record and her reputation speak for themselves. In my opinion she has been treated unfairly by the mainstream media who seem to have a double standard when it comes to liberal vs. conservative women in politics. But Sarah Palin has risen above it and handled it with grace and dignity.

No one should vote for a candidate because of sympathetic circumstances or a charismatic personality. It is every American's duty--and more so every Christian's duty--to vote on the issues. I believe life begins at conception and we should do everything in our power to protect the unborn. I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman, and I believe in the traditional family unit. I believe the role of a Supreme Court justice is to interpret the law and Constitution, not rewrite it. I believe our country was founded by great men who had great faith in a supreme and all-knowing God, and it would serve our country well to remember that.

Whatever your opinions are on economic, military, or other political issues, if you are a follower of Christ, your sole concern should be the issues of morality. Our pastor said it so eloquently last Sunday, "We should be concerned with economic and political issues, but as Christians, moral issues trump every other political issue" (my paraphrase).

If you remain undecided, I urge you to seriously consider the issues--particularly moral ones--and pray fervently for direction. Ask yourself, what's really at stake in this election? It's more than just economics and health care...it's the moral fiber of our nation. Then, go vote! It's Election Day...get out there and vote your conscience!

2 comments:

Vince Farrell said...

What a great blog. Thank you for the "shout out"
Just finding out who your Pastor is makes it that much more of an honor. When we lived in AR and served as youth pastors there we took our college/and church members there for some services. I still remember the points to the message "Brats" (heard it in 2004 I think) --I have a lot of respect for him.
Again, great post.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Amen, Sister!! Great post!