Monday, May 19, 2008

Calling All Chinese Food Lovers!

I meant to post this recipe last week when I made it, but life got crazy, and I never got to it. So, for all you Chinese-food lovers, here's something different. I admit, I was a bit skeptical at first. The town I live in happens to be Chinese food mecca...seriously there is a Chinese restaurant on almost every block. And legend has it that the Chinese-American dish, Cashew Chicken, originated right here in my humble, little, college town. Thus, the reason for my apprehension. But I do love me a good casserole, so I made the dish nonetheless. And it turned out really good! Even my 3-year-old gobbled it up! It's a keeper, so I thought I'd share it with you! (I forgot to take a picture of the dish before the family dug in, and by then it would not have been an appetizing picture, trust me!)

CASHEW CHICKEN CASSEROLE
¼ cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery (this is optional)
4 cups diced cooked chicken (or turkey)
2 T. reduced calorie margarine
2/3 cup fat-free chicken broth
2 cans 98% fat-free cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup soy sauce
2 cups cooked rice
½ cup cashews
1 cup chow mein noodles
1-2 green onions, chopped

Sauté onion & celery in margarine.
Add broth & soup—simmer 5 minutes.
Add rice, chicken & soy sauce.
Pour into 13” x 9” casserole that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake until bubbly and brown—approximately 30 minutes.
Remove from oven & sprinkle cashews & noodles on top.
Bake 5 minutes more.
Sprinkle with green onions before serving.

Serves 8

(Note: As with most casseroles, this makes for great leftovers. But the noodles and the cashews get a big soggy when reheated. You might want to keep some "fresh" ones on hand to sprinkle over the leftovers.)

2 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

This looks yummy! We are desparate for good Chinese food around here, so I mostly buy the frozen stuff and fix it at home. I think I'll have to try this (I'll just serve the cashews on the side since I'm not much of a nut person).
P.S. I saw your folks yesterday in B'ham!:)

Angela said...

Man, I'd love to make it, but my husband rarely eats nuts. It seems pointless to make a cashew chicken casserole without the cashews. I'm not crazy over nuts, but my dad always had a jar of cashews on hand, so I am a sucker for those. Maybe I'll try it and put cashews in half. :-)