Thursday, May 8, 2008

Going Home

My trip to KC was a lot of fun. The purpose was two-fold: (1) to promote my book, and (2) to visit my old home church and some family. (The conference was held at my former home church and my parents were attending the conference.)

The book promotion wasn't exactly a huge success. We only sold a few copies (thank you, Lora for purchasing most of them!), but we did have a lot of people express interest in the book. Hopefully they will remember once they get home and order it online. It was good to get the word out.

The kids had a BLAST visiting with "Nanee and PaPa." I'm not sure which my parents enjoyed more...showing off their grandkids to all their friends or bragging that their oldest daughter had written a book!

It was a bit bizarre visiting my "home" church to which I hadn't returned in almost 15 years! The building had changed tremendously (but the sanctuary was eerily the same). There were some of the same faces, but now they had a few more wrinkles, a few more gray hairs, and a few more children in tow! It was like a weird time warp between 1998 and 2008. While it was nice to "step back in time," it's good to be back to my present and the things and people I now know. It's a wonderful church, and the people are great, but there's nothing like "going back" to make one thankful for where they are now!

I was also able to spend some time with my life-long friend, Lora (check out her blog My Blessed Life). Our parents were friends long before we arrived on the scene, and since both our parents were there, too, we had three generations of friendship going on. It was really cool. Lora and I hadn't seen each other in ages. It was great to see her and her beautiful family, and visit some of the places we had hung out together 15 years ago!

Lora and me at The Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, MO

Three generations of friendship...me and Lora with our moms and daughters.


After the conference, the kids and I spent a couple days at my grandma's about 30 minutes south of KC. My daughter LOVED the chance to run and play on "G's" property. (The great-grandkids have dubbed my grandma "G.") She also loved playing with G's dog, Lacey.






"G" with the kiddos

And the best part of going home...grandma's fried chicken!! YUM!!

All in all, it was a fun--and exhausting--trip!

1 comment:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Love all those pics!! Thanks for sending me some, too! Your children are just adorable.

I know what you mean about the *going home* feeling. I love going back to OH to visit (and I'm way overdue for a visit there--it's been 10 years now), but it is like a huge time warp for me.