Boy, was I in for a serious education! I am only just beginning on this journey, and as a self-proclaimed processed-food lover, I have a long way to go! I am loving the education I am getting, however. The books, the articles, the research, and certainly the conversations with others who know so much more than I.
For example, I had a conversation last week with a friend who is much farther on the "organic journey" than I am. (When I found out she grinds her own wheat I told her I didn't know if we could actually be friends! ....Love you, Linds! :)) In the course of the conversation I learned that she and her family drink mostly raw milk and have done so for almost two years now. I had heard of raw milk, but didn't really know what it was or why it is considered (by some) to be better for you.
My curiosity was piqued and so last Friday the kids and I set off with my friend and her kids on their weekly milk run. I was interested in trying this phenomenon called raw milk, but honestly, I was mostly excited about taking the kids to a farm where they could feed and pet goats, see the cows from which the milk actually comes, climb a few fruit trees, and visit some bunnies and chicks. I was not disappointed. Here are some pics from our little field trip:
Stopping to study a roly-poly
As for the raw milk...I bought a gallon for my family to try. As one friend put it, "Surprisingly, it tastes like...milk!" I thought it had a bit of a "buttery" aftertaste, but after my second glass or so I didn't even notice the aftertaste anymore. I'm not saying we're ready to "convert" to raw milk. But I can say, I LOVE the idea of knowing where my food (and milk) comes from.
I know there are some large controversies surrounding the issue of raw milk, and I haven't sufficiently done my own research. I'll have to get back to you on our final verdict. If you're as curious as I am, do your own research. (And if you have researched it, let me know your thoughts and share your resources...I'm always interested in learning more.) If nothing else, it's interesting to learn where your milk comes from, what happens to it before it gets to you, and decide for yourself what you think about it.
For more information on raw milk, see:
Raw Milk Facts
RealMilk.com
RawMilk.org
The FDA
US News
University of Minn Food Safety





1 comment:
Cute pics! I love taking my kiddos to a farm~so much fun!!
Up until a few years ago I thought organic foods were just too expensive for us. But after doing a class study on the book 7 Pillars of Health in '07, I started buy just a few staples in organic products. I always buy organic milk now and try to buy organic produce as much as possible. I had to cut the organic sugar out, it's just too expensive for us right now. But I really do try to watch what we buy. It's all very interesting to learn about, isn't it?
Post a Comment