Friday, July 12, 2013

A Week In the Heart of Dixie

Well, it's been a little quiet around here...OK, really quiet. It seems as the kids get older and busier, so does mom. But I thought I'd post a little highlight of a trip we took in June. We traveled down south to visit the newest cousin who was born just before Mother's Day. I remember when my Little Miss was that tiny. Now she's a babysitter-in-training!

emily-liv2

While we were in "the land of Dixie," we took advantage of the time and saw some of the sites around Birmingham. What's the point of a vacation if you can't share some of your pics when you return, right? So, here are a few snapshots from our trip for your viewing pleasure!

barons-2
"The boys" enjoyed a Birmingham Barons game one day while "the girls" went shopping.
 
barons2-2
I love this picture...I don't know who was having more fun...PawPaw or Little Man.
 
 
zoo-2
I'm pretty sure we chose the hottest day of the week to visit the Birmingham Zoo. Yes, that's a dinosaur in the background. It was part of their Dino Discovery exhibit. (I love Little Miss's dramatic pose, and I can't imagine where she gets it! *sarcasm*)

zoo 3-2
While the animatronic dinosaurs were fairly cheesy, the rest of the exhibit...
and the zoo...more than made up for it!
 
zoo-birds-2
Where else can you feed lorikeets by hand? (A phenomenon that
was less appealing in person than in concept, as we quickly discovered.)
 
zoo-drums-2
Or get your groove on with some djembe drums?
 
zoo-tiger-2
Or get up-close-and-personal with a tiger? (Yes, that's a live tiger.
And yes, there is a glass between them...although my mama heart was pounding
and I was praying fervently that glass would hold!)
 
The next day we wised up and spent the day indoors at the McWane Science Center where you can do really cool things like...

mcw-sharks-2 
pet a shark,
 
mcw-nails-2 
learn about weight distribution (on a bed of nails),
 
mcw-pulley-2 
discover how pulleys work,
 
mcw-dig
dig for dinosaur bones,
 
mcw-bubbles-2 
and other super-cool stuff.
 
 
Another reason it's been quiet here is that a lot of my brain power has been going into my other project, There Is Grace. If you haven't stopped by there in awhile, I'd love for you to drop in!

No comments: