Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thoughts on Thanksgiving


I have thought a lot about thanksgiving lately...not just the holiday, but the attitude of giving thanks. Yes, I realize that is the culturally-accepted thing to do this time of year. But, honestly, it has gone beyond that for me. It all began with a study on God's grace at our church. Now there's something that will get you in the spirit of thanks!

Then I started reading a book that was recommended to me. I soon discovered the author's passion for having an attitude of thanksgiving in all of our circumstances--triumph, tragedy, and all that falls in between. It is a challenging read, so I'm taking my time going through the book. However, it is a challenge I desperately need and I'm looking forward to posting about it once I'm done.

I also decided to participate in "a month of thanksgiving" on Facebook. For those who are not a part of this social media phenomenon (all three of you), this is an informal opportunity for users to post things we are thankful for. Honestly, I've never participated because I always felt it would be more lip service than a heartfelt gratitude (at least it would have been for me). But in light of all I've been pondering the last few weeks, I felt it would be a good way to daily keep me attitude in check. (I must admit, I've failed a time or two...still working on being thankful in all circumstances, like dealing with a 4-year-old's tantrums! It's a process, right?)

In addition to turkey, pumpkin pie, and thoughts of Thanksgiving, this month also reminds me of some pretty incredible reasons within my own family to give thanks. It was only a year ago that I was recovering from surgery and undergoing radiation therapy and physical therapy. And this year I was able to run two 5Ks. It was during that time last year that my baby sister was blessed with an Extreme Makeover: Home Edition from ABC. And of course, we are ever grateful for our miracle boy (and Savannah-born celebrity) Zoe!

Most of all, I'm thankful to have Someone to give thanks to. My gratitude is more than a warm and fuzzy feeling that I toss out into the universe or a passing emotion that I lavish on a friend or relative. After thirty-"ahem" years, I feel like I finally get it...."Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights" (James 1:17). Everything I have to be thankful for--from my miracle nephew to my healthy family to my morning cup of coffee--all of it is a result of the goodness of God lavished on us. Why? Simply because He is good and He loves to do good for us.  

So as you prepare your turkey and bake those pies, take a moment to truly reflect on what it is to be thankful. And to help you get started, here's a special Thanksgiving greeting from the Miracle Boy himself.. Zoe Simpson! (Spoiler alert: he's pretty stinkin' cute!)


Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; 
his love endures forever
-Psalm 107:1

No comments: