Last year at this time, Little Miss was getting ready to head off to Kindergarten, and I was getting ready to have a 6-inch tumor removed from my leg. We had no idea what to expect on both counts. Little Miss did great. She took to school like a fish to water and was a little lost the first few days of summer without her friends, teacher, books, and art class. (Don't worry, she adapted to the lazy days of summer quite nicely!) My journey was a little more involved. If you don't know it, you can read the full story here.
Before the possibility of surgery last year, I had considered doing a 5K. Our church does a 5K Run/Walk as a fundraiser for our adoption and foster care program, Cherish Kids. I have several friends who have been blessed through the adoption/foster care process and a dear friend who is on the leadership team, so the cause is near and dear to my heart. However, I am not what you would call an athlete, so the thought of a 5K was a bit intimidating. Alas, it ended up being the week of my surgery, so it didn't happen.
After my surgery and physical therapy was finished, I knew I wanted to remain active. I quickly learned that the more I move my leg, the better it feels and the less likely it is to stiffen up on me (or give out on me as it's been known to do on occasion!). So at the first of the year, I set a goal: to do the Cherish Kids 5K River Run/Walk.. I am happy (and a little scared to death) to announce that in 12 days I will do my first 5K--exactly 1 year after my surgery.
My original goal was to run the entire distance. However, common sense (and my Hubby) have prevailed, and my goal is now (1) to finish, and to (2) do a jog/walk combo for the entire distance. I've had a very loose training regimen so far, but I have managed to do the entire 3.1 miles once on my treadmill and have consistently been doing 2-2.5 miles on the treadmill about 3 times a week.
Before the possibility of surgery last year, I had considered doing a 5K. Our church does a 5K Run/Walk as a fundraiser for our adoption and foster care program, Cherish Kids. I have several friends who have been blessed through the adoption/foster care process and a dear friend who is on the leadership team, so the cause is near and dear to my heart. However, I am not what you would call an athlete, so the thought of a 5K was a bit intimidating. Alas, it ended up being the week of my surgery, so it didn't happen.
After my surgery and physical therapy was finished, I knew I wanted to remain active. I quickly learned that the more I move my leg, the better it feels and the less likely it is to stiffen up on me (or give out on me as it's been known to do on occasion!). So at the first of the year, I set a goal: to do the Cherish Kids 5K River Run/Walk.. I am happy (and a little scared to death) to announce that in 12 days I will do my first 5K--exactly 1 year after my surgery.
My original goal was to run the entire distance. However, common sense (and my Hubby) have prevailed, and my goal is now (1) to finish, and to (2) do a jog/walk combo for the entire distance. I've had a very loose training regimen so far, but I have managed to do the entire 3.1 miles once on my treadmill and have consistently been doing 2-2.5 miles on the treadmill about 3 times a week.
I'm still not convinced this was the best idea...a 5K in August in Missouri! At least the temps have cooled off a bit lately. I pray they stay that way for a couple more weeks. I'll keep you posted as the day gets closer. And if I manage to make it the whole 3 miles without passing out, I might even post a pic or two!
No comments:
Post a Comment