Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Family Camping Trip

We decided Memorial Day weekend was a good time to introduce our Little Miss to a long-time family tradition....camping. Well, it's a long-time tradition in Hubby's family, and now ours. I am not what you would call a seasoned camper. I come from city-folk and only camped for the first time after I was married (and only once since, although I do enjoy it). Fortunately, Hubby comes from a long line of campers and is himself somewhat of an outdoorsman.

His family owns some river-front property a couple hours away that they've converted into a private campsite. (I told you they were campers!) It seemed like the perfect place to initiate our Little Miss to the world of camping. Little Man and I were feeling a little under the weather, so while we joined in the daytime activities we slept at Grandma and Grandpa's a couple miles away.

I was curious how my princess-in-training (who sometimes doesn't like to play outside because of the bugs) would handle this initiation. We prepared for full-fledged camping...in a tent...overnight, but had a backup plan. To be honest, I fully expected to see Little Miss and Hubby on Grandma's fold-out couch the next morning, but I didn't! She slept all night in the tent and LOVED IT! Hubby said she was up at 5:45 ready to go fishing! I believe we have ourselves a little camper, folks!

Helping Daddy set up the tent.

Getting the fire going for dinner.

Little Miss's first s'more!

Fishin' with Daddy


Her first catch

Little Man in the boat


Grandma and Grandpa even joined us for a hot dog roast for lunch!

Thanks Aunt Joanie for letting us use the campsite, and thanks to Uncle Andy for all his hard work fixing it up!

4 comments:

Daremo said...

Wish I could have joined in. Next time.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Looks like tons of fun!! Although we are only novice campers ourselves (unless you count all the time I spent in *fancy* campers growing up:), we really would like to make camping a family tradition. Hoping to do this soon!

Angela said...

Your daughter is SO adorable, Nancy! What a fun adventure.

Ann Marie said...

Morgan and Amanda would have a blast camping with Olivia! We will have to try to make the next camping trip!