Monday, December 22, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha: A Book Review


Well, this may be a less-than-dramatic way to break my 2-week silence (AGAIN!) especially so close to Christmas, but I actually read this book about a month ago and thought I should get around to reviewing it. It was originally on my Fall Into Reading 2008 list, but I didn't get the book review posted in time for it to officially count. (However, it DOES count in my book because I DID read it!) Now, on to the review...


I had heard so much about this book, that I was really looking forward to it. I must admit it was difficult to get into the story because the content itself is so discouraging and heartbreaking. The life of a geisha (as depicted in this book) is anything but glamorous! On the flip side, however, the imagery and writing were magnificent! I could absolutely picture the gorgeous, flowing kimono and the beautiful surrounding scenery. Overall, it was a sad, sad story that was beautifully told. If you're looking for a beautifully written story full of vivid imagery, this is the book for you. If you're looking for a story to make you feel good about life and the human condition...you might want to shelve this one for now.


I have yet to see the movie, but hope to soon (maybe once I've exhausted my extensive holiday movie collection!). If the book is so beautifully written, I can't wait to see what they do with it on the big screen!


As a side note: I'm hoping to post another book review (from my original list), and send my holiday greetings before we leave on Wed!

No comments: